Go to main navigation
301 Oxford Valley, Suite 1902A, Yardley, PA 19067

Pennsylvania Separation Agreements by Bucks County Lawyers

seperationSeparation agreements may be necessary when a couple wants to — or needs to — live apart but is not yet ready to take the formal legal step of divorce. In some cases, a two-year separation period is required before spouses can divorce. In other cases, spouses may not want to divorce for personal reasons.

A separation agreement resolves all the issues that a divorce agreement would resolve. The only thing a separation agreement does not do is legally end the marriage such that the spouses are free to remarry.

In almost every case of formal separation, spouses should consider a formal separation agreement. Pennsylvania family law does not require separation agreements, but a formal legal document is the best way to protect your interests.

A Yardley Law Firm Focusing Exclusively on Pennsylvania Family Law

At The Law Offices of Jennifer Courtney & Associates, P.C., in Yardley, our experienced attorneys focus exclusively on legal practice in family law. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing people from in and around Bucks County in all types of legal cases relating to separation or divorce.

If you are considering a formal separation agreement and wish for legal advice, contact us for a consultation.

What Does a Separation Agreement Cover?

A separation agreement covers all the same issues that would be negotiated during divorce proceedings:

There are several ways to create a separation agreement, including straight negotiation, the collaborative law process or mediation. If spouses are unable to agree on the terms of a separation agreement but insist on separation, either spouse can go to family law court for an order on an individual issue, such as child custody or child support.

Contact Us

If you are considering a divorce or formal separation from your spouse, it’s important to contact a qualified family law attorney as soon as possible. At Jennifer Courtney Law, we can advise you as to the next steps to take. We can also counsel you on child custody, visitation or support issues.

For marital separation information or if you have questions about legal separation and divorce, contact us to schedule a consultation with a Bucks County family law attorney.