Go to main navigation
301 Oxford Valley, Suite 1902A, Yardley, PA 19067

Bucks County Visitation Rights Lawyers Protect Family Relationships

Yardley family lawyers provide skilled legal guidance to Pennsylvanians

Children deserve to have both parents in their lives. The Law Offices of Jennifer Courtney & Associates, P.C., in Yardley represents Pennsylvania clients who are seeking visitation with their children so that they can remain a strong presence in the life of their son or daughter. We put our extensive family law background to work in helping noncustodial parents secure fair visitation terms during a divorce and in cases where parents were never married. Our law firm assists individuals throughout the Bucks County area.

What’s the difference between custody and visitation?

When a parent has physical custody, the child lives with that parent the majority of the time. The parent with visitation rights sees the child on a specific schedule. Legal parents are entitled to visitation, but if a father and mother were never married, paternity might need to be established first. Grandparents might obtain visitation rights as well if the child no longer shares the same home with their mother and father. If you are seeking to assert grandparents’ rights, our law firm will stand up for your interests in establishing a continuing relationship with your child or grandchild.

How do visitation schedules work?

Visitation schedules, also called parenting time agreements, can be created through negotiation between parents or by the court. Factors that should be considered include where parents live in relation to each other, work schedules and the children’s daily routine. Noncustodial parents may have children every other weekend and one evening during the week, as one example. Our family law attorneys can help you negotiate a visitation schedule that gives you and your child the chance to spend significant quality time together.

Why would supervised visitation be ordered?

Supervised visitation may be ordered in cases where the child’s safety with the noncustodial parent is a concern. If supervised visitation is ordered, the parenting plan will name a third party who must be present during visitation. The third party could be a friend, family member or another person either designated by the court or agreed upon between the parents. In some situations where risk to the child’s safety is higher, the court may designate a specific location where supervised visits must take place.

What is the best interest of the child standard?

In child custody and visitation issues, judges make their decisions based on what they believe to be in the child’s best interests, as described in Pennsylvania law. Judges evaluate numerous factors to determine what that means, giving the most weight to factors that may affect the youth’s safety and well-being. Once the order setting visitation terms is entered, the custodial parent can be held contempt of court if they choose not to comply. We will stand up for your rights if you are being denied court-ordered visitation.

Common factors the court will consider when determining visitation rights

In determining visitation rights, the court might look at the following:

  • Each parent’s role in caring for the child
  • The child’s need for stability
  • Parents’ physical and mental health
  • Whether substance abuse or domestic violence has been an issue
  • The physical proximity between parents
  • A parent’s ability to foster a loving and nurturing relationship with the child
  • Anything else the court believes is relevant

When you are seeking a certain visitation schedule, our attorneys will present a thorough argument to support your position.

Contact an experienced Yardley family law firm for help with visitation issues

The Law Offices of Jennifer Courtney & Associates, P.C. helps Pennsylvania parents and grandparents pursue appropriate visitation terms. To schedule a consultation, call our firm at 215.493.3360 or contact us online. Our office is in Yardley and we serve clients throughout the Bucks County area.