My boyfriend is paying $700 a month child support for one child. He cannot afford any more than that on his set income. The child’s mother wants to request more money after putting the child into karate (which was not discussed with the father). The child’s mother also is unemployed. What are the options and rights of the father? If he was in sole custody and he could not afford to put his son in karate he would not, and if he wasnt paying child support he can afford it. Why isn’t $700 a month not enough for the child to be in extra curricular activities? What legal support does he have if the mother refuses to work to support herself and uses childsupport for not only the child, but her own livelihood?